Saturday, April 08, 2006

Deep Slumber!

In the depths of slumber!
Filed under: general — cthangsing at 12:27 am on Saturday, April 8, 2006 Edit This
Dr.Chinkholal Thangsing

We walked down the tarmac a few minutes after EK723 touched down the runway at Entebbe International Airport. The queue was in three lines one for East Africans, Ugandans and for foreigners. We filled in the greenish colored form and the immigration officers prompt, swift and efficient as they not only stamp the passport but also issue visa on the spot for almost all countries except SA and Indian I guess. We quickly passed the immigration section and then immediately to collect the luggages which were already off the belt. We walk out the airport and there was Terri Ford waiting with Jacob and it was a relief to see their faces.

The 37 kms from Entebbe to Kampala was soon covered by Jacob who expertly manouvered the SUV and took us through the streets of Kampala which reminds me of the streets of Delhi especially the old Delhi section where the traffic was chaotic as it can be. I must added so, it felt like home. We moved up a hill and Kampala is said to be surrounded by seven hills and in the far distance one can see a beautiful mosque and on the other sides churches dotting the skyline in the early evening as the sun already on its way down the horizon. We came to a screeching halt at the parking lot of Africana Hotel. Jacob help us with our lugguage and we have to walk through a metal detector that adorned the entrance of the Hotel. We walk into the reception area as we met other delegates for the Africa Bureau Meeting. We decided that we would meet down at the lobby to dine together at around 7:30 pm - a welcome drink and dinner. I hurried on up the second floor at room 202 and then sank on the bed before I thought that I would have a refreshing bath from the long route to Kampala and join Mary, Terri and Maggie and others for dinner.

I woke up and look at the watch and it was already 11:30 Pm and I was still in my dress and yet to take a bath to join friends for dinner at 7:30 pm. I rolled on my side and went into yet another stage of deep slumber to wake up at 7:30. Yes, I made it at 7:30 sharp which happend to be AM not PM….. late for dinner by only 12 hours.

Kampala, Africana Hotel, 7 April 2006 2:30 am

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home