Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Touch

The day was as usual yet another busy day and it was already past midday when the nurse came peeping in at the HIV clinic at while I was examining a patient. I peer up from the case sheet and she was apologetic but told me that she had a case in the minor operation theater. She had suspected that I should be there after the OPD. The day moved one and just after 2 pm that I finally manage to get up and out of my chamber and hurried on to the minor theater.

I walked in the room to see a handsome young man of mid twenties who stands above six feet looking quite anxious yet calm on the bed in the room. He told me that he had been having a lump on his thighs for over a week and had been postponing a visit to the doctor so many times as he was afraid. He had injected and was obvious there was some inflammation and the question being - does he need minor surgery. He was sitting on the examination bed as I examined him. I gave a gentle palpation and felt for temperature and tried to assess whether he needed an incision and drainage examination. I was busy with the examination oblivious of the happenings at the surroundings.

The nurses were quite and there was this silence in the room as I looked up at those eyes brimming with tears as they came pouring down. He cried and in a while sobbed gently and I apologize and asked him whether I hurt him as I examined him. He could not answer me immediately but indicated that I didn't and as I persuaded him he in a soft whisper said that rang loud and clear in my mind and those around me ...." You touched me...". It was then that I realised the power of touch and its amazing healing powers.

PS: He went on to tell me that ever since he tested HIV positive he has been outcast and some physicians would not even touch him while conducting examinations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home