Monday, May 22, 2006

The perfect PRESCRIPTION

May 22 2006: It was early in the morning when I heard the phone ring and the voice in the other end was apologetic yet needed to be desparately heard. The voice started with " I am sorry to call early doctor, Good Morning" I responded wearily for it just 7 am in the morning and I had a late night as usual. I developed small swelling on the right side of the face and its awfully painful. I am sure I am having another herpes zooster on my face. Well, I am always amazed by the correct diagnosis my patients come up with. " It could be that and sounds like you know thats a serious possibility?" I responded and then the voice once again in a faint tone..." and doctor I have already started Acyclovir 800 mg Q5times and also a cream which I applied so very frequently almost as soon as the first coat dried". Aw! I said to myself and then suggested " Why dont you come see me at my office and let me have a dekkho and then we will take it from there". I gave the appointment for 11 am and then when this person walk in one could see from afar the vesicles on the side of his face and the swelling that accompanied. I offer a seat and soon no doubt its " Herpes Zooster Ophthalmicus" a correct diagnosis made by my patient. It was obviously not a very difficult one but each day amazed me of how my patients are getting better and better with diagnosis. There is much to learn from them - and as he narrated the drugs from antiviral to pain killers ... I just did jot them down on my official doctors pad and when we completed the prescription writing there was none to add nor delete. I just did take dictation from my patient and the treatment protocol for his condition was just PERFECT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home